A tutorial on how to email an Excel report using TM1 through a TurboIntegrator (TI) process. Automate reporting capabilities for IBM Planning Analytics.
Take the first step to automate Excel report distribution to your users.
9 clear steps on how to email a report using TM1.
- Download TurboIntegrator (TI) process with all the email logic
- Copy file across to the TM1 data directory
- Restart TM1 Server
- Find path for the file you want to attached to the email
- Edit TI process ‘Sys.Email’
- Edit email fields via Parameters
- Edit email provider and credential via Prolog
- Run TI process
- Email received
Screenshots are based on Excel 2016 + IBM Planning Analytics 2.0.6 / TM1 Server 11.4
Requirement(s): Microsoft Powershell
Enhancements that can be developed to improve the emailing process:
- Automate update of Excel report before the file is attached to the email
- Embed TM1 data in the body of the email
- Set up a chore to run the email regularly
- Secure email credential
- Set up a user-friendly interface in TM1 so any user can email their report
If you would like assistance in implementing this idea further, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Download TurboIntegrator (TI) process with all the email logic
2. Copy file to the TM1 data directory
3. Restart TM1 Server
4. Find path for the file you want to attach to the email
5. Edit TI process ‘Sys.Email’
6. Edit email fields via Parameters
7. Edit email provider and credential via Prolog
8. Run TI process
9. Email received
How to troubleshoot
Test the script by executing the code directly in Powershell.
In the Epilog, un-comment the ‘asciioutput’ line then run the TI process. This will create a text file with the script used in Powershell.
Find and open the text file located in the TM1 data directory.
Copy the text between the double quotes.
Open Powershell, paste the text and execute.
If successful, the recipient will receive an email. Otherwise an error like this would be returned.
Check with your company’s IT network administrator if all email parameters are filled in correctly.
For more information about Powershell’s email program head here.